Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

1Ls for One Day

How Supporting EJF through One Day for Justice Makes a Difference.

Betsy Gwin, 1L, Section 3 - This summer, I will be interning at the Legal Aid Society of DC, where I will be assisting low-income clients with applications and appeals for public benefits, like Food Stamps and Social Security Disability. Legal aid work is my passion and I am looking forward to reconnecting with my original intentions for attending law school. However, because the internship is unpaid, I could not afford to live in DC and reconnect with my goals without the help of EJF funding. Thanks EJF!

Steven Shapiro, 1L, Section 3 - I am working at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida. I will be working in the major crimes division, and getting hands-on experience in the carrying out of justice. Further, I will be providing work for the government, and by necessary extension, other Americans. If it were not for EJF, I doubt I would be able to work here, as the job is unpaid.

Olivia Lynch, 1L, Section 1 - I will be working at Las Americas in El Paso, Texas this coming summer. My tasks will include representing unaccompanied minors that cross the border as well as working on U-visa, asylum, and family-based immigration cases. EJF funding is vital for me to be able to take this legal internship, as Las Americas lacks the ability to offer any type of remuneration besides significant legal experience.

No comments:

Equal Justice Foundation

EJF's Live Auction took place January 29, 2015 in Hart Auditorium and was a HUGE SUCCESS. Check the Facebook page for updates about other ways to help fund public interest activities for Summer 2015