Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

World Health Organization

Hugh Carlson writes from Geneva where he is serving as an intern in the office of legal counsel for the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

The work is diverse and interesting, and no two projects are the same. For example, my day yesterday began with my having to research legal issues surrounding the Georgian/Russian conflict, and ended with my drafting a brief pertaining to a dispute between the WHO and a member-state. I'm the only intern in my department, so I've taken on a lot of responsibility which has, in turn, made for a rewarding and memorable experience.


There is a palpable sense of community at the WHO. For example, the chief legal counsel (and also a GULC adjunct professor) will somehow find the time for afternoon espresso and conversation in spite of an exceedingly busy schedule. The intern network, being 160 strong during the summer, provides for a wonderful opportunity to meet people from throughout the world, many training to serve as doctors or lawyers (and sometimes both). The camaraderie is certainly strengthened from the shared experience of living without income in an extraordinarily expensive city, and in this respect I've been quite fortunate: without the EJF stipend I wouldn't have been able to afford living here.

No comments:

Equal Justice Foundation

EJF's Live Auction took place January 29, 2015 in Hart Auditorium and was a HUGE SUCCESS. Check the Facebook page for updates about other ways to help fund public interest activities for Summer 2015