Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

Road to Criminal Law

This past summer I had the pleasure of working for the United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of North Carolina. I worked out of the Charlotte office and had the opportunity to participate in some really interesting cases, including a narcotics and bank fraud trial. The United States Attorney’s Office provided me with meaningful legal research and writing experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my legal career. For example, I wrote my own 4th Circuit brief and was given time sensitive legal research projects regarding jury instructions for several trials.


While I entered law school with an eye toward the private sector, my summer experience exposed my interest in criminal work and has led me to believe I am interested in working for a government agency such as the US Attorney’s Office down the road. This experience and knowledge would not have been possible without the help of EJF. Because most government internship opportunities are unpaid, the financial realities of being a law student would have made it difficult for me to accept the internship and gain this meaningful experience. The knowledge that I would be receiving a stipend to assist with my summer living expenses encouraged me to accept an internship in Charlotte.


Thank you EJF and keep up the good work!

-- Drew Newman

No comments:

Equal Justice Foundation

EJF's Live Auction took place January 29, 2015 in Hart Auditorium and was a HUGE SUCCESS. Check the Facebook page for updates about other ways to help fund public interest activities for Summer 2015